Thursday, December 3, 2020

A poignant memory from 'shelter in place'

This article was published in the May 2020 issue of The Fort Wayne Lutheran 

By Donna Volmerding

My husband received an email from a Christian organization asking churches to ring their bells at 3:00 p.m. on two Sundays in March. Churches in Europe would ring their bells, too, on their time. What a superb idea! Church bells would ring in America, in Europe, perhaps all over the world to proclaim the presence of God in our lives. 

We arrived at our church and walked through shadowy hallways, past empty offices into a deserted sanctuary. I sat alone in the church pew; the church, once bustling and alive, was dark, bleak, desolate. When the church bells pealed, I was overwhelmed with how much this church has meant to me. I attended grade school here from kindergarten, was confirmed here, married here, my daughter was baptized here, my children attended school here and were confirmed here. 

We have so many wonderful friends here, people who are strong and wise and good. Our lives are intertwined with the life of this church, with the lives of God’s people, with God. I miss it all so much. This invisible enemy has taken away so much in such a short time, but it will not destroy us. 

Our churches will be alive again with worship and songs, sermons and Bible readings, dinners, fellowship and coffee hours, events and gatherings — the stuff of life for God’s people, their lifeblood, the church and the God it serves. 

Life will continue, perhaps not the same, but God’s name will be praised nonetheless, always and forever. May we never have to go through a crisis like this again to appreciate the great blessings we have received from the God Who never deserts us. 

“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;

I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

When you pass through the waters,

I will be with you;

And when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.

When you walk through the fire you will not be burned;

The flames will not set you ablaze.

For I am the LORD your God,

The Holy One of Israel,

Your Savior.” Isaiah 43:1-3a

Donna and David Volmerding are members of Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 3705 S. Anthony Blvd.